Before the Storm
HURRICANE PREP LIST
Hurricane season is here and there is so much to do in order to correctly prepare your place of business. When a storm is threatening to strike your area, it is always to better to be safe, than sorry! Below is a list that will help you determine what needs to get done before a hurricane hits your place of business.
BEFORE THE STORM:
- Save all your work on a Hard Drive and back up all your work on your computers.
- Invest in a Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Unplug all your electronics and machines to prevent surges and fires.
- Move all electronics away from windows, incase windows break and rain comes inside.
- If you can't move machines, cover them with a tarp to keep safe from wind and water damage.
- Charge all your laptops and turn them off once fully charged.
- Purchase a cellphone charger and car charger as backups to charge electronics.
- Have a digital camera or a disposable camera ready to take before and after pictures of your property.
- Secure building facility, making sure that all offices and departments have followed rules for machinery and backing up their systems.
- Put storm shutters up around the facility windows to protect the building.
- Let business clients know your plans for the Hurricane. Tell them what they can expect during and after the hurricane.
- Test run all back up generators. Fill the fuel tank up for back up.
- Fill all fuel tanks on vehicles. Replenish any storage tanks at all facilities.
- Create a list of emergency personal contact numbers. Include on the list, home and cellphone numbers. Make sure to pass out this information to all members of emergency standby group.
- Make a list of phones numbers from your electric and natural gas providers, and insurance provider.
- Communicate with employees about the expectations after the storm.
- Identify a representative to communicate with employees on when and where to report back to work after the storm.
- Post information on website to update clients on what to expect.
- Let employees leave early so that they may have time to prepare for the storm.
- Have a customer representative be on call for clients to reach during the storm.
We hope this helps you in all your preparations before a hurricane strikes. Remember there are many things to follow up with after a hurricane hits. Please be attentive to the follow up process as well. Here is a list of the 4 Best Practices After A Hurricane.
Most importantly always remember to stay safe!